North Basin Groundwater Remedial Investigation and Feasibility Study
The North Basin Groundwater Remedial Investigation and Feasibility Study focuses on a five-square-mile portion of the groundwater aquifer located under Fullerton, Anaheim and Placentia.
Manufacturing industries operating primarily in the 1950s, 60s and 70s left a legacy of industrial pollutants at their former factories. The pollutants, mostly volatile organic compounds (VOCs) including solvents and degreasers, have migrated through the soils and are now leaching into the underlying groundwater. These VOCs have impacted nearby water supply wells causing four of them to be taken out of service.
OCWD has been conducting a remedial investigation and feasibility study (RI/FS) under EPA oversight. OCWD has completed the installation of 25 new monitoring wells at 13 locations as part of the RI/FS. These wells complement the extensive network of 80 existing monitoring wells OCWD previously installed to characterize groundwater contamination in the North Basin area. Monitoring wells were sampled in January and July 2019. The RI is scheduled to be completed in January 2020 and the FS is scheduled to be completed in Fall 2020.
OCWD and select potentially responsible parties are engaged with regulators and are working toward a long-term solution. The District will be looking to potentially responsible parties to fund clean up operations either through collaboration, litigation or by order of the EPA.
OCWD updates and agenda items
- September 30, 2019
- November 5, 2018 OCWD update
- May 8, 2018 press release - Statement from OCWD General Manager Mike Markus
- December 12, 2017 OCWD update
- October 5, 2016 OCWD update
- June 15, 2016 OCWD board of directors meeting
- June 14, 2016 status report email
- December 16, 2015 OCWD board of directors meeting and EPA presentation
For all items pertaining to the project, please search our meetings and agendas page.
OCWD fact sheets & additional information
- July 2019 RI/FS fact sheet
- November 2018 RI/FS fact sheet (Spanish)
- Myths & Facts about North Basin groundwater
- North Basin Remedial Investigation additional monitoring well installation project initial study/mitigated negative declaration
- Community Involvement Plan (CIP) - coming soon!
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- January 2018 EPA North Basin fact sheet
- January 9, 2018 EPA announcement regarding North Basin
- December 8, 2017 EPA press release
- October 5, 2016 EPA press release
- October 4, 2016 EPA listing for North Basin
- Administrative Settlement Agreement for Remedial Investigation (RI)/Feasibility Study (FS) (This is an agreement with OCWD and the EPA to oversee the District's performance of the RI/FS for groundwater contamination in the North Basin area)