Out in the Community
As part of its standard to forge and maintain long-term, positive and proactive relationships with members of the local community and greater water industry and to be transparent about its operations and programs, OCWD board members and staff speak regularly before groups and at events. We recently participated in the following virtual events:
- General Manger Mike Markus was a panelist, speaking about the Groundwater Replenishment System, during the “Challenges and Opportunities for Water Conservation and Reuse in California” webinar hosted by the University of San Francisco Departments of Environmental Science, Engineering and Environmental Studies.
- Mike also participated as a panelist for the Virtual Special District’s Tour—"Advancing Groundwater Sustainability,” and for the Sustainable Silicon Valley WaterPalooza.
- Executive Director of Planning and Natural Resources Greg Woodside shared his expertise with a University of California, Irvine, Teacher Academy group about civic participation in the Santa Ana Watershed.
- Director of Recharge and Wetlands Operations John Bonsangue presented the webinar “Soarin’ Over the Surface Recharge System” for OCWD’s webinar series.
- Dr. Megan Plumlee, director of research, gave a keynote presentation titled “Innovation and Research at Water Utilities” for the first (virtual) meeting of the National Alliance for Water Innovation (NAWI).
- Chief Hydrogeologist Roy Herndon and Senior Hydrogeologist Gary Yoshiba briefed the Seal Beach Leisure World residents and staff on local hydrogeology and shallow groundwater.
- Senior Scientist Meeta Pannu judged student oral presentations in the Soil Water Management and Conservation Division at the virtual Soil Science Society of America International annual meeting.