Out in the Community
As part of its standard to forge and maintain long-term, positive and proactive relationships with members of the local community and greater water industry and to be transparent about its operations and programs, OCWD board members and staff speak regularly before groups and at events. We participated in the following during March:
- Director Philip Anthony and Executive Director of Engineering and Water Resources John Kennedy provided a presentation to the Water Advisory Committee of Orange County describing the current condition of the groundwater basin and the plans to purchase imported water from the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California to refill the basin over the next two years.
- Director Shawn Dewane was appointed to the Orange County Employees Retirement System (OCERS) Board of Retirement for a three-year term. OCERS is administered by the Board of Retirement, a group of 10 trustees.
- At the World Bank Water Conference, General Manager Mike Markus presented on groundwater governance and water scarce cities. He also gave a briefing on the Orange County Water District to Fullerton City Council.
- Executive Director of Engineering and Water Resources John Kennedy gave briefings about OCWD to the Fountain Valley City Council and to the Santa Ana City Council.
- Executive Director of Planning and Natural Resources Greg Woodside participated on a panel discussion of California Long Term Efficiency Framework at the Association of California Cities-Orange County (ACC-OC). He also gave a presentation to the Orange County Water Association on the District’s activities in Prado Basin. In addition he participated on a panel focusing on changing infrastructure at the Wallace Stegner Center- 22nd Annual Symposium: Water in the West, Exploring Untapped Solutions.
- Executive Director of Water Quality and Technical Resources Jason Dadakis gave an invited guest lecture at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) on sustainable groundwater management and potable reuse in Orange County.
- Director of Engineering Chris Olsen attended a round table discussion hosted by the Business Development Association of Orange County, to discuss OCWD projects.
- GWRS Project Manager Sandy Scott-Roberts gave a presentation about the challenges of the GWRS Final Expansion Project at the 2017 WateReuse California Annual Conference in San Diego.
- Senior Scientist Jana Safarik presented her work on “Online Detection and Removal of Colloidal Particles to Improve Membrane Efficiency” and Scientist Christine Pham presented her work on “Fiber Optic Distributed Temperature Sensing as a Tool for Measuring Recharge Rate in a Potable Reuse Spreading Basin” at the 2017 WateReuse California Annual Conference in San Diego.
- Engineer Ben Smith visited Walker Junior High in the city of La Palma to teach 350 students about OCWD, water filtration, and technical careers.