Public records include any writing containing information relating to the conduct of the public's business prepared, owned, used or retained by OCWD regardless of the manner in which the record has been stored.
General public records request
In accordance with the California Public Records Act, public records are available for viewing Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., excluding holidays at 18700 Ward Street, Fountain Valley, CA 92708. District staff is available to assist persons requesting records.
The below request form is intended for standard record requests that are easily and quickly accessed. Specific information pertaining to the request, such as the name and title of the document, are especially helpful in accessing the appropriate file(s). Some records are exempt from disclosure. In addition, requests that are too general in nature may result in a delay pending further investigation of the records.
- Original records may not be removed from their original file jackets, reorganized or removed from the premises on any conditions
- Please bring paper clips, post-its and payment for any copies due.
- Payment for copies are payable in cash or check only. Please make checks payable to "Orange County Water District."
Many of the District's documents are available for viewing or downloading. If the document you are looking for is not found on this website, please fill out the public records request via the form below.
Frequently asked questions
What are public records?
What types of records may be viewed?
Members of the public may view archived minutes and board agenda packets, legal documents (contracts, agreements, easements, etc.) and District reports.
Where and when may I view records?
Please call 714-378-3215 to make an appointment to view documents. Prior to your visit, please fill out the public records request form so that we may better assist you. You will be contacted within 10 business days as to the status of your request. The Orange County Water District is located at 18700 Ward Street, Fountain Valley, CA 92708. Records may be viewed Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., excluding holidays.
Is there a fee to view records or make copies?
There is no fee to view records. However, there is a copy fee of $0.10 per page. Payment may be made by cash or check only. Please make checks payable to Orange County Water District.
Am I required to submit a form or may I just show up?
Persons interested in viewing or copying records are strongly encouraged to fill out the request form in advance to allow staff time to locate the record(s) of interest. However, form submittal is not required.
How long will it take to get a response?
Please allow 10 business days for a response. Should you have a question regarding your request, please contact Renee Patterson, Records Management Coordinator via email or phone at 714-378-3215.
What records are not open to inspection?
A complete list of statutory exemptions is found in the Public Records Act, Government Code Section 6254 et seq. Exemption categories include but are not limited by the following:
- Preliminary drafts, notes, or inter-agency or intra-agency memoranda which are not retained by the District in the ordinary course of business;
- Records pertaining to pending litigation to which the District is a party, or to claims made pursuant to Government Code Division 3.6 (commencing with Section 810) until such litigation or claim has been finally adjudicated or otherwise settled;
- Personnel, medical, or similar files, the disclosure of which would constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy;
- Trade secrets as defined in Government Code section 6254.2 (f) except as required by law;
- Test questions, scoring keys, and other examination data used to administer a licensing examination, examination for employment, or academic examination;
- Records of which the disclosure is exempt or prohibited pursuant to provisions of federal or state law, including, but not limited to, provisions of the Evidence Code relating to privilege.
Should your request be denied, you will be notified as to why.
What if I require special accommodations?
Persons with disabilities who require accommodation for obtaining access to public records should notify the District of their accommodation needs on their request form.
Who do I contact with additional questions?
For additional information, please contact Renee Patterson, Records Management Coordinator via email or by phone at 714-378-3215.