Out in the Community
As part of its standard to forge and maintain long-term, positive and proactive relationships with members of the local community and greater water industry and to be transparent about its operations and programs, OCWD board members and staff speak regularly before groups and at events. We recently participated in the following:
- Directors Vicente Sarmiento, Cathy Green, Tri Ta, Kelly E. Rowe, and Stephen Sheldon, along with General Manager Mike Markus and Exec. Dir. of Water Quality & Technical Resources Jason Dadakis attended a virtual meeting with Congressman Harley Rouda.
- President Sarmiento, Mike Markus and Senior Engineer Lo Tan participated in the city of Santa Ana's Community Linkage Forum and provided attendees with information on the District and Santa Ana's water supply.
- President Sarmiento spoke to students at Magnolia Science Academy and congratulated them on winning their school's Water Awareness Art Contest. The winning students also received certificates from OCWD and a bag filled with OCWD promotional items.
- President Sarmiento and Exec. Dir. Of Engineering John Kennedy spoke via Zoom to Santa Ana Rotary Club members about their local water supply.
- Mike Markus spoke on a panel titled “Leadership’s Perspective on Advancing Potable Reuse at the WateReuse Association virtual conference.”
- Recharge Planning Manager Adam Hutchinson participated in a panel of the WaterReuse California Virtual Conference in a session titled "A Virtuous Cycle: Recycling Water to Achieve Groundwater Sustainability."
- For an American Water Works Association (AWWA) and Hach webcast titled “New Insights and Technologies for Treatment Process Optimization,” Principal Scientist Jana Safarik presented her research on ATP (adenosine triphosphate) as an online surrogate to monitor reverse osmosis performance and integrity in reuse applications.
- As part of the above same project, Jana’s paper “Naturally Occurring Surrogates to Monitor Reverse Osmosis Performance and Integrity in Reuse Applications” was ranked in the top 5 overall conference papers submitted to the AWWA Membrane Technology Conference & Exposition which was scheduled for this past Spring but cancelled due to COVID-19. AWWA has invited Jana to present, along with the other top papers, this fall as part of a virtual webinar series being held in lieu of the conference.
- Research & Development Director Megan Plumlee, P.E., Ph.D; and Scientist/Process Specialist Han Gu co-authored a presentation titled “Improving RO Treatment Operations with Direct Online Membrane Fouling Detection,” which was delivered by Noria Water during the technical session “Data Collection and Optimization” at the virtual WateReuse California conference in June.