Out in the Community
As part of its standard to forge and maintain long-term, positive and proactive relationships with members of the local community and greater water industry and to be transparent about its operations and programs, OCWD board members and staff speak regularly before groups and at events. We recently participated in the following:
- President Vicente Sarmiento, Director Ahmad Zahra, General Manager Mike Markus and Chief Hydrogeologist Roy Herndon held a virtual meeting with Assistant Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency Peter Wright to discuss the proposed listing of the North Basin site on the National Priorities list.
- Director Zahra spoke about OCWD, the GWRS and Fullerton's water supply to members of the Fullerton Sunrise Rotary.
- Executive Director of Operations/GWRS Mehul Patel presented at an American Membrane Technology Association (AMTA)-hosted webinar about GWRS operations during COVID-19.
- Mehul also moderated the AMTA/American Water Works Association-hosted webinar "The Role of Membranes in PFAS Removal."
- Roy Herndon provided an overview of OCWD's groundwater management program to representatives of San Bernardino Valley Municipal Water District, Western Municipal Water District, and Riverside Public Utilities.
- Director of Water Quality Patrick Versluis spoke at the Association of California Water Agencies’ Virtual Conference about OCWD’s current actions on PFAS.
- Recharge Planning Manager Adam Hutchinson participated in a panel discussion as part of a Law Seminars online conference on Groundwater Sustainability Plans in California. Adam’s presentation was titled “SGMA, Groundwater Replenishment and OC Basin Sustainability.”
- Principal Engineer Tim Sovich provided a virtual presentation on groundwater and the GWRS during an OC Coastkeeper-hosted webinar titled "What's Up With Water."