Out in the Community
As part of its standard to forge and maintain long-term, positive and proactive relationships with members of the local community and greater water industry and to be transparent about its operations and programs, OCWD board members and staff speak regularly before groups and at events. We recently participated in the following:
- President Vicente Sarmiento, with Directors Cathy Green, Jordan Brandman, Ahmad Zahra, Kelly Rowe and General Manager Mike Markus, provided an OCWD briefing and GWRS tour to Senator Tom Umberg.
- Director Ahmad Zahra and General Manager Mike Markus gave an OCWD briefing and GWRS tour to U.S. Congresswoman Katie Porter’s District Director Kelly Jones.
- Board Director Tri Ta and Special Projects Director Bill Hunt gave a presentation to the Leisure World Physical Property Council Board Meeting about the GWRS and Orange County’s water supply.
- Chief Hydrogeologist Roy Herndon gave a water update and seawater intrusion presentation to Covenant Presbyterian Church fellowship in Orange.
- During their yearly return engagement, engineering staff presented to and helped Walker Junior High seventh grade students construct media filters. They used them to treat muddy water near 2,000 NTU (turbidity) to levels as low as 7 NTU.
- Senior Communications Specialists Diane Pinnick and Crystal Nettles represented OCWD at an information table during the City of Irvine Earth Day event.
- OCWD hosted a Boy Scouts Soil and Water Conservation Merit Badge Clinic. Roy Herndon provided a presentation and tour. Crystal Nettles and Multi Media Graphics Designer Tyler Crossno served as counselors and helped facilitate the clinic.