Out in the Community
As part of its standard to forge and maintain long-term, positive and proactive relationships with members of the local community and greater water industry and to be transparent about its operations and programs, OCWD board members and staff speak regularly before groups and at events. We participated in the following during September:
- Director Dina Nguyen and Assistant General Manager Mike Wehner provided a presentation and GWRS tour to members of the local Vietnamese media including, Vstar TV and Viet Bao Daily News.
- OCWD Director and Mayor of Fullerton Bruce Whitaker with Governor Jerry Brown and Assemblymember Sharon Quirk-Silva celebrated the renovation of historic Fox Theater in Fullerton.
- General Manager Mike Markus attended a Mesa Water District Board meeting and gave an update on groundwater basin conditions, the cyclic storage agreement, status of in lieu deliveries, and the Poseidon project.
- Director of Water Production Mehul Patel attended the Pure Infatuation Brew Competition hosted by KEH Group in Oxnard, Calif. Event sponsors included Ventura County Water, Water Replenishment District and Las Virgenes Water District. GWRS water was used by local brewers to craft beer that was entered into a competition for the purpose of creating more awareness and education about the high-quality water produced by water-reuse projects.
- GWRS Program Manager Sandy Scott- Roberts gave a presentation about water reuse and the GWRS at a TEDx conference in Bakersfield, Calif. As part of the presentation GWRS bottled water was provided and attendees were encouraged to drink the water and get over the “yuck factor” to support water reuse.
- Senior Planner Marsha Westropp presented an update on the preparation of the North and Central Orange County Integrated Regional Water Management Plan to the Newport Bay Watershed Executive Committee.
- Senior Communications Specialist Crystal Nettles and Multi Media Graphics Designer Tyler Crossno participated in the Festival of Children event at South Coast Plaza. Invited by Mesa Water District, OCWD staff hosted a booth and distributed information about the OC Water Hero program.