Out in the Community
As part of its standard to forge and maintain long-term, positive and proactive relationships with members of the local community and greater water industry and to be transparent about its operations and programs, OCWD board members and staff speak regularly before groups and at events. We participated in the following during February:
• General Manager Mike Markus participated in two panels at the VerdeXchange 2017 event titled “Moving LA Toward Supply Self-reliance and Tactics: Wastewater Reuse Yesterday and Today.
• Mike also provided a briefing on the Orange County Water District to the Fullerton City Council and at the Association of California Cities, Orange County new council member orientation.
• Assistant General Manager Mike Wehner provided a presentation to the Anaheim City Council regarding groundwater replenishment sources and water quality, especially the exceptionally high quality of the water produced by the Groundwater Replenishment System.
• Director of Water Production Mehul Patel provided an update at the OC Wise event about the current status of projects for the GWRS and other OCWD projects.
• Chief Hydrogeologist Roy Herndon presented and answered questions about groundwater supply to the League of Women Voters of Central Orange County.
• Executive Director of Planning and Natural Resources Greg Woodside participated on a panel discussion of California Long-Term Efficiency Framework at the Association of California Cities-Orange County (ACC-OC) Event.
• Recharge Planning Manager Adam Hutchinson spoke at the Newport Bay Conservancy about groundwater depletion and recharge as well as saltwater intrusion and intrusion barriers.
• Engineer Benjamin Smith gave a presentation on filtration to Walker Junior High School students in Anaheim.