Out in the Community
As part of its standard to forge and maintain long-term, positive and proactive relationships with members of the local community and greater water industry and to be transparent about its operations and programs, OCWD board members and staff speak regularly before groups and at events. We participated in the following during May:
- President Denis Bilodeau and Executive Director of Engineering and Water Resources John Kennedy provided an OCWD briefing to the Orange City Council.
- Director James Vanderbilt presented an overview of OCWD to the Kiwanis Club of Greater Anaheim and the Rotary Club of Anaheim.
- General Manager Mike Markus attended the World Environmental & Water Resources Congress where he provided a plenary lecture and was honored with the Environmental & Water Resources Institute Pioneers in Groundwater Award.
- John Kennedy provided a presentation to the Newport Beach Sunrise Rotary about OCWD’s role in water resource management and an update on Orange County’s water supplies.
- Chief Hydrogeologist Roy Herndon participated in a roundtable discussion of the Groundwater Resources Association’s Contemporary Groundwater Issues Council where he presented OCWD’s experiences addressing contaminant plumes and how that may relate to requirements of GSAs to address water quality impacts under SGMA.
- Roy Herndon also gave a presentation to Covenant Presbyterian Church in Orange on statewide and local water conditions in light of this winter’s above-average rainfall and snowpack.
- In addition, Roy Herndon provided an Orange County Groundwater Basin update to Serrano Water District’s board of directors.
- Director of Special Projects Bill Hunt provided a GWRS presentation to the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials.
- Engineer Ben Smith and Principal Planner Dan Bott provided an update on the Mid-Basin Injection Well Project during the Centennial Park Neighborhood Association Meeting.