Out in the Community
As part of its standard to forge and maintain long-term, positive and proactive relationships with members of the local community and greater water industry and to be transparent about its operations and programs, OCWD board members and staff speak regularly before groups and at events. We participated in the following during June:
• OCWD President Denis Bilodeau gave an update of OCWD and the GWRS to the city of Tustin.
• First Vice President Phil Anthony provided a briefing on current groundwater conditions to the city of Seal Beach.
• Board Directors Cathy Green and Bruce Whitaker participated in the 60th Anniversary City of Fountain Valley Parade.
• Director of Public Affairs Eleanor Torres provided a presentation about the GWRS to ESP Magnet High School.
• OCWD’s Advanced Quality Assurance Laboratory and EPA hosted the Association of Official Analytical Communities (AOAC) Southern California Section (SCS) and U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP) Joint Two-Day Regulatory and Compliance Conference at OCWD.
• Principal Communications Specialist Gina Ayala participated in KPCC’s Seeing Green event.
• Senior Communications Specialists Diane Pinnick and Crystal Nettles were judges at the OC CoastKeeper student presentations for the WHALES program.
• Staff participated in the media kick-off event of the GWRS bottled water campaign in Los Angeles.
• Staff participated in the OC Food, Wine and Music Festival, handing out bottled GWRS water and information about advanced purified water.
• Staff participated in a working group meeting to finalize the Orange County guidelines for standardization of recycled water inspection and regulatory approval process across the county.
• Staff gave Santa Ana Regional Water Quality Control Board members an update of the work of the Basin Monitoring Program Task Force, the group that is managing the region’s salt and nutrient management plan. OCWD is a member of the task force.
• Director of Special Projects Bill Hunt presented before the Fullerton City Council regarding the North Basin Groundwater Contamination Site.
• Senior Planner Marsha Westropp gave a presentation to the Newport Bay Watershed Executive Committee on updating the North and Central Orange County Integrated Regional Water Management Plan.