Out in the Community
As part of its standard to forge and maintain long-term, positive and proactive relationships with members of the local community and greater water industry and to be transparent about its operations and programs, OCWD board members and staff speak regularly before groups and at events. We participated in the following during September:
• OCWD Board Director Roger Yoh presented to the Buena Park Rotary Club and the Placentia Rotary Club about the District’s facilities and projects and provided an update on current water supplies.
• OCWD General Manager Mike Markus participated in a water reuse panel that was part of the Statewide Reuse Forum hosted by the Governor’s Office of Planning and Research in Sacramento.
• OCWD Assistant General Manager Mike Wehner participated in the first WateReuse California-sponsored workshop on the findings of the Expert Panel on Direct Potable Reuse and the SWRCB Division of Drinking Water (DDW) draft report to the state legislature. Mike attended as a representative of the Advisory Group assembled by DDW to advise the Expert Panel and DDW regarding practical aspects of developing criteria for Direct Potable Reuse in California, including recommendations for training and certification of operators of advanced water purification facilities.
• OCWD Executive Director of Engineering and Water Resources John Kennedy gave a presentation on the District’s Santa Ana River stormwater capture programs and projects to the Southern California Water Committee Stormwater Task Force Workshop.
• Director of Water Production Mehul Patel participated on a water reuse and recycling panel at the International Desalination Association International Conference.
• Chief Hydrogeologist Roy Herndon was program speaker, presenting about Santa Ana River rights and current water supply conditions at the Water Advisory Committee of Orange County (WACO) September meeting. Roy also presented an overview of the Orange County Groundwater Basin to an environmental studies class at Chapman University.
• Director of Public Affairs Eleanor Torres presented at a workshop to foster public acceptance of potable reuse projects at the Water Environment Federation’s Annual Technical Exhibition and Conference.
• Recharge Planning Manager Adam Hutchinson provided a presentation about OCWD’s groundwater recharge operations at the International Right of Way Association’s (IRWA) 2016 Water Seminar.
• Principal Engineer Sandy Scott-Roberts and Senior Communications Specialist Diane Pinnick hosted a table and provided information about the GWRS Final Expansion at the Orange County Sanitation District’s Plant 2 Neighborhood Workshop.
• Staff attended a Boy Scout Soil and Water Conservation Merit Badge training informational meeting hosted by MWDOC in partnership with local water providers.
• Supervising Environmental Specialist Pat Versluis participated as the OCWD water quality designee in an emergency exercise with the Water Emergency Response Organization of Orange County (WEROC) and the County of Orange. The exercise scenario involved potential emergencies that could be caused by a large earthquake located along the Newport/Inglewood Fault.