Out in the Community
As part of its standard to forge and maintain long-term, positive and proactive relationships with members of the local community and greater water industry and to be transparent about its operations and programs, OCWD board members and staff speak regularly before groups and at events. We participated in the following during May:
- OCWD General Manager Mike Markus participated on a panel with Paul Cook (General Manager Irvine Ranch Water District), Paul Jones (General Manager Eastern Municipal Water District), Joone Lopez (General Manager Moulton Niguel Water District) and Dan Ferons (General Manger Santa Margarita Water District) during the Drought Response Workshop in Irvine that was hosted by the Department of Water Resources, National.
- OCWD Public Affairs Director Eleanor Torres participated in the National Water Research Institute’s expert panel for El Paso Water Utilities’ Direct Reuse Pilot Project.
- Chief Hydrogeologist Roy Herndon chaired a meeting of the Orange County Well StandardsAdvisory Board (WSAB) whose members include representatives of the city of Santa Ana, Golden State Water Company, Orange County Public Works, and Gregg Drilling. The WSAB discussed matters including abandoned wells that constitute a nuisance and should be properly destroyed, incomplete destruction of monitoring wells, and proposed legislation to update the state well standards.
- OCWD staff presented a draft report “Salt and Nitrate Projections for the Orange County Management Zone” to the Imported Water Recharge Work Group meeting at SAWPA. The District is required by an agreement among water agencies in the watershed and the Regional Water Board to evaluate the long-term effects of using imported water for groundwater recharge on salt and nitrate levels in the OC Groundwater Basin.
- OCWD Legislative Affairs Liaison Alicia Dunkin, along with staff from the Orange County Sanitation District and WateReuse, met with legislators and their staff to brief them on AB2022.
- Chief Hydrogeologist Roy Herndon gave a presentation on OCWD’s plans to comply with the 2014 Sustainable Groundwater Management Act to a drought workshop in Irvine organized by National Water Research Institute, Department of Water Resources, and Southern California Water Committee.
- OCWD Supervising Environmental Specialist Pat Versluis was invited by UCI to provide a presentation about OCWD and the water quality department to the Careers Course for students in the environmental science, earth system sciences, and related fields.