OCWD Garners Multiple Awards in 2016
Since 2006, the District has received 70 awards for its service efforts and accomplishments—more than 15 just in the past year—the second largest number it has garnered in a calendar year.
A major reason for many of the 2016 awards is the Groundwater Replenishment System (GWRS) initial expansion, which added 30 million gallons more per day for a total of 100 million gallons of water. The GWRS now supplies enough “new” water for 850,000 people daily in north and central Orange County. It is a joint venture of OCWD and the Orange County Sanitation District. Through this collaboration, the GWRS has emerged as one of the most celebrated civil engineering and water reuse projects in the world.
The successful operation of this project, its completed expansion, and planned future expansion are the reasons it receives ongoing recognition and truly demonstrates the value of this significant investment.
Among OCWD’s many accolades in 2016, the GWRS Initial Expansion was honored this year with the following:
- Water Environment Federation Project Excellence Award
- Electrical Excellence Award by the Orange County Chapter of the National Electrical Contractors Association
- Membrane Facility of the Year honor by the American Membrane Technology Association and the American Water Works Association
- Outstanding Engineering Project Award from the Orange County Engineering Council
- American Society of Civil Engineers Orange County Branch's Water/Wastewater Treatment Project of the Year Award
- Global Water Intelligence Water Reuse Project of the Year Distinction Award
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists Honor Award in the Design category
- Outstanding Membrane Plant Award - Large Facility from the Southwest Membrane Operators Association
The District’s H2O Learning Center is now the global hub for water experts to learn about our system, its cutting-edge technology, and how to apply it to meet their own needs. OCWD readily shares information about the GWRS and groundwater management for both humanitarian reasons and in the spirit of scientific development for the betterment of all.
OCWD received awards in 2016 for the following:
- UV Engineering Project of the Year from the International Ultraviolet Association (IUVA)
- California Large Agency of the Year by the WateReuse Association
- Exceptional Utility Leader from the International Desalination Association
- Cool Planet Award from Southern California Edison and The Climate Registry
- Sandor C. Csallany Institutional Award for Exemplary Contributions to Water Resources Management from the American Water Resources Association.
The goal of OCWD’s water-use efficiency, outreach and education programs is to draw individuals’ and families’ attention to the state’s water needs and crisis, teach them useful and simple ways to reduce water consumption, respect this natural resource, and have them make life-long commitments to conserving water.
OCWD was awarded the 2016 Partners in Excellence Award by Disneyland Resort Environmental Affairs to recognize the District’s 20-year partnership and commitment to engaging Orange County youth in environmental education at its yearly Children’s Water Education Festival.
Orange County Water District's redesigned website received an APEX Award for Publication Excellence. The website features a new vibrant look, simple navigation and expanded content, which includes tools for learning and helping visitors better understand OCWD management practices and decisions.
MarCom Awards recognized OCWD with a Gold Award in the Video/Audio category for its 40 minute animated PowerPoint presentation titled Water Manufacturing Process, which is used as an introduction to each GWRS tour.
The Orange County Water District is honored to have received these recognitions for its hard work and to have shared the GWRS accolades with the Orange County Sanitation District. OCWD will continue to strive to be an innovator, a resource, an authority, and a major force in the water world.
Photo: Recharge Planning Manager Adam Hutchinson received the Sandor C. Csallany Award on behalf of OCWD from AWRA President Martha Narvaez.